Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Baby carriers

Before my baby was born I purchased two kinds of baby carriers. The moby wrap and baby Bjorn. Both worked great at different stages of the babies growth. When my son was a new born we did not swaddle him, he hated being tightly confined but he loved being carried around all day in the moby wrap. The moby wrap if you haven't seen one is a long piece of fabric about fifteen feet long that can be wrapped around the parents body in different ways to carry the baby in front of you in the style you choose. The only issue I had with this is that there is so much fabric my body was so hot and it's very hard to undo when your baby spits up while inside of it. I honestly would never wear this in public, it makes my body look way heavier than I really was due to the layering of the fabric. I couldn't even see my shirt beneath the wrap and it appeared as if I had on shirt on underneath. A good thing about this wrap is that it is machine washable. My baby loved being warm and with me all day long. I am an avid baby wearer. This wrap is not a good I'd ea in my opinion to be worn on a plane due to having to unwrap yourself through security in the airport. If you have no one there to hold your baby while you re- wrap yourself it is an awkward situation. Plus if you have to go to the bathroom...well you get the idea. The Bjorn however is what I use daily now. My son is older than 6 months and t is great that he can be worn in both directions either facing me or out in front. He loves to look around at whatever is there. When he was little I did use. Once just to see how he liked it and the Bjorn swallowed his little body inside of the carrier. The minimum weight limit for the Bjorn is eight pounds. The moby wrap minimum is five pounds. The Bjorn is a quick way for me to go to the grocery store or other places without having to lug the heavy car seat to and from wherever I go. My son can fall asleep in the Bjorn too which is nice after he gets tired of looking around I don't have to lay him down to take a quick nap. The Bjorn is easily accessed and good for airport travel. On the downside the Bjorn can have a negative affect on a babies hips if used frequently. The narrow bottom of the carrier causes the babies legs to hang straight down with little support under the babies rear end. This can attribute to hip problems and displaysia along with growth problems in the pelvis. The moby wrap provided much better support for the baby's bottom when wrapped correctly. Either way they both work well for differnt ages of babies.

No comments:

Post a Comment