Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The how and when to stop breastfeeding

Through my experience this subject is extremely personal. However at this point in time I'm trying to stop breastfeeding. I've been working at this process for a about a month now and I'm down to pumping only once a day. That's it. This decision was the hardest I've had to make in a while. I have struggled with feeling like a failure or selfish because I'm tired of doing it. Breastfeeding has protected my son from day one against illness and given him nutrition that formula could never provide. I've always had a large supply of milk and even donated the extra I had. Lately I had noticed a significant decrease in the milk and decided it was my bodies way of saying enough. I was happy to have my body back after I finally stop. I still feel Like I'm not caring enough about my son by stopping. I struggle with this thought everyday. I want to give him the best chance at health and life. He's doing fine drinking formula now that he's almost one now. I don't feel so bad that he doesn't mind the taste difference. It hasn't upset his stomach either. I can't stand the smell of formula it stinks. The way I slowly decreased to pumping once a day was a slow process. I went from breastfeeding only to pumping only in about a weeks time without upsetting my son. I slowly introduced a bottle over a weeks time and he did just fine. After going from pumping about ten times a day down to eight and six and so on....this went on for months. Now I'm at once in the morning. So my son gets one eight ounce bottle every morning of breastmilk and the rest formula during the day time. Make sure that if you decide to stop you stick with it so you don't mess up your milk production so bad if you decide to breast feed again. It's not impossible to start up again but regaining a low supply is hard to do. It's easier to stop I think than start up again.

No comments:

Post a Comment