Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Para guard IUD

As a breastfeeding mom I found myself left with few choices for BC after my son was born. Estrogen hormone BC are a big no no for BF moms. I was uninterested in progesterone only or mini pill as an alternative method. An IUD sounded strange and uncomfortable but I decided to do more research. The mirena IUD still used hormones along with having a plastic piece inside of your body so that option was out. I was left with the Para guard IUD. It uses no hormones. The IUD itself has a small strand of copper wire wrapped around itself. The copper wire is a natural sperm destroyer. The IUD by itself also causes as inflammatory response to the lining of the uterine wall causing female eggs to never be able to adhere causing a pregnancy. There is only a less than one percent chance of becoming pregnant while this IUD is inside your body. I can honestly say right now that I should of had this IUD sooner. I was scared that I would get sick from having a foreign object permanently inside me but no such thing happened. However you do need to have this IUD placed by your GYN doctor. You cannot go out and buy this or pick it up at the pharmacy. Insertion took about 5 minutes and it was uncomfortable. I felt pain for a second then it went away immediately afterwards. Once the IUD is in place it works to prevent pregnancy instantly. There is no waiting period until it takes effect. After having an IUD placed you will have to go to the GYN doctor a month after then three months then five months after that to make sure it hasn't moved. They check the placement by an external ultrasound which takes a few minutes you don't need to get undressed or have a full exam. It's been months since I had mine inserted and I feel absolutely nothing or discomfort. I had slight bleeding for a week after with a little cramping but now it's completely gone. Like I said before it was such a good idea and I wish I did it sooner. Also if you have health insurance and you have already had one child, it's almost always is covered completely by the insurance company so no need to pay out of pocket.

No comments:

Post a Comment